Tuesday, 15 April 2008

Sometimes, but only sometimes, it's fine to laugh at the expense of others. 22nd November 2007

You shouldn't really laugh at the misfortune of others. It probably isn't in keeping with the tenets of Anyti-Bullying week which has been going on for the past five days.
But, what if it's funny? I mean really, really funny. Comedy films have plunged the 'misfortune of others' route to get a few cheap laughs for decades - whether it's people falling down stairs; having anvils/pianos dropped on their heads; or getting their bits caught in their zipper.I've laughed along at the films but nothing comes close to the genuine hilarity of seeing those who truly deserve their comeuppance get it, and get it BIG time.If those on the receiving end are a bunch of obnoxious, shallow thugs, with a capacity for sensitivity and rational-thinking relative to that of a savage pitbull on a bad day; I say: 'laugh it up'.Is it ok to laugh at a bully? Probably not. Experts would tell us that laughing at a bully further alienates them, when what they really need is an arm around their shoulder, some understanding, and a gentle word in their ear about why bullying is such a lamentable pastime. Maybe that could still work in primary schools when some children can still be influenced.In the adult world, unfortunately, there are many bullies who would scoff at such girly attempts at reconciliation, whilst happily smashing a pint glass in your face. Some particularly vindictive bullies revel and thrive in the misery of others and actively seek it out. More than a few barrack, threaten, and harass their victims. All too often they will destroy the property of their victim(s) as well as inflicting actual bodily harm. They have zero respect for those who are different and take pride in their ability to dish out hammerings. And on Wednesday night, a lot of those particular bullies (I am, of course, referring to certain factions of England supporters) finally got their comeuppance in the best way imaginable.I laughed and laughedI love elements of England. I lived there for the best part of six years and thoroughly enjoyed it. I met loads of fantastic people and am still in contact with many of them. Despite that, I laughed and laughed on Wednesday night when the national side were dumped out of the European Championships. I'm not completely heartless, I had mixed feelings (for about a second) because I knew some great friends would be feeling extremely low after the match.For those not up to speed, I'll do a brief synopsis. English players, and their fans, assume they are among the best in the world. The players are paid an average of around £55,000.00 per WEEK. On Wednesday night they had to draw, at Wembley, against Croatia to progress to next summer's European Championships. They failed, miserably. My housemate and I chuckled heartily but not because of the primadonnas on the pitch - a few of them (Beckham, Crouch, Barry) seem like genuinely decent men when interviewed.I was happy England lost because of the thuggish contingent amongst their fans; the obnoxious, shallow thugs I referred to at the beginning of this article. The fans who booed Croatia's national anthem on Wednesday night. They didn't boo because of any ideological differences with the people of Croatia - they weren't booing because they sympathised with Serbia's position during the war, for example. They booed the Croatian anthem simply because it wasn't 'God Save The Queen'.The idiot England fans booed because they boo every team's national anthem. Croat, French, Andorran, German, Israeli, Irish - it doesn't matter what part of the world you come from; if you play football against England, a lot of their supporters will boo your national anthem. They may even throw in "a kicking" or two for good measure.It is that mindset, and maybe some of the same individuals, which caused the destruction and rioting in Landsowne Road when England came to play Ireland just over a decade ago.The same fans wreak havoc at international tournament after international tournament. Special police task forces have to be set up to combat English hooligans.That is why the way in which Croatia (who had already qualified and didn't NEED to either win or draw) dealt the hammer blow to the blown-up, fatuous aspirations of Englan
d fans had such superb comic timing. Croatia were 2-0 up at the end of the first half and England appeared dead and buried. Mid-way through the second half England had clawed it back to 2-2, and it looked like that would be enough. My laughter abated and it seemed likely that England would qualify. Then, with 13 minutes to go, Croatia struck again and silenced Wembley. All was well in the world once again. The bullies were quietened without their would-be victims raising so much as a single fist in anger, three goals sufficed.A bit sorryI feel a bit sorry for my English friends but they can take their oil (sure we didn't qualify either). At least now they will be spared the shame and disgrace of watching their compatriots smash and fight their way through Austria and Switzerland next summer whilst roaring the first few lines of 'God Save the Queen' as loud as they possibly can.

No comments: